Sunday, January 16, 2011

LOLs of Education

With a new semester at college beginning, my sisters are hurting for a little extra cash. One of the best ways to make a few bucks (legally) is selling old textbooks. So I helped them get a quote from the trusted site BookByte.com. The books we cannot sell will later be used for firewood.

As I'm searching for quotes on books that no one will take, I remembered a bunch of super useless courses. We all have to take those classes that are completely unrelated to our major in order to get our degrees and a "well rounded education." You couldn't see it there, but I rolled my eyes. I would go off on a bunny trail about how it's a conspiracy, but that would be for a later post.

For your entertainment, here is a short list of some of the courses that I found completely useless:

1. Introduction to Ethics. It was a pretty easy online course with a few papers and some discussion board posts. But the textbook we used had no pictures, quoted way too many politicians (ironic, eh?), and misquoted the 10 Commandments. Enough said.

2. Success and Study Skills. I got all A's through high school, so it was a complete waste of time for me to learn "how to study." You'd think my grades would tell the advisers that I had a pretty much got it. I was sure to take full advantage of the course evaluation comment section to discuss in detail how ridiculous it was.

3. Professional Development. Although the course was advertised to teach us about the professional work environment, we spent more than half the course talking about hygiene. No kidding. I'm a little insulted that they thought I wasn't able to bathe properly. Our textbook was from the early 90s, so when it discussed work appropriate clothing I lol'd and swore I wouldn't be caught dead wearing that. The fact that the book came with a floppy disk should have told someone that it was a little outdated.

I would love to hear about your most useless college courses, so let me know in the comments!

2 comments:

  1. Floppy disk, what is that? Have to agree with you on Success and Study skills. If I have made it to college I should know how to study and be successful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL

    I always thought it was useless for a Bachelor of Arts student to be forced to take advanced algebra. Didn't they get it that I was a BA because I didn't want to take algebra?

    I handily avoided Study Skills and Professional Development wasn't listed anywhere. But orientation was worse than those two put together XD

    ReplyDelete