Thursday, April 14, 2011

I Totally Rock

Does that sound a little conceited? Oh well. :P

So graduation from Carteret Community College was almost a year ago. And as of two months ago, my work life had been exactly the same as it was when I was in school. Minus sneaking in some homework every now and then, of course. It kinda bummed me I had this pretty piece of paper but nothing really to show for it.

Feeling like I was ready for something new, I applied for a producer job at a Christian music station in South Carolina. I had listened to this station when I was younger, so I was all excited about the possibility. But a couple weeks after sending in my resume and clips of my on air experience, I got a letter informing me that the position had been given to someone else. Bummed times two. At least they told me though, right?

I then applied for a receptionist job in town, but never heard anything back on that. Bummed times three.

In February there was a significant turn of events. I was asked to fill in for my coworker Ken while he was to be out for an operation and the recovery to follow. Our operations manager/my immediate boss/personal entertainment Shane cited my degree in computers as one of the reasons they wanted me to start to learn and take over these responsibilities. Ken showed me the very basics of entering simple commercial orders and creating logs. I was a newbie, but I felt confident in the few things I needed to do in his expected absence.

But that expected absence suddenly grew longer as Ken experienced some complications. Before I knew it, there were things that needed to get done that he had not shown me how to do. After overcoming the initial shock that I'm sure each deer who's ever been caught in headlights feels, I dived into the system and spent several hours reviewing the way he put in some old complicated orders and was able to figure it out and enter the new ones.

While papers were flying all over the place and fingers were typing at break-knuckle speeds, the excitement of finally knowing how to do the task made me giddy. Or maybe that was just the multiple caffeinated sodas and strong dose of Excedrin running through my system?

Anyways, Shane told me he was impressed that I was able to figure it out. Giddy times two.

But here's the kicker. He said that in the presence of my paycheck-signing boss Lockwood. Giddy times three, baby!

For the last two months, I've continued to figure out more tasks and I have rocked them all. I'm learning so very much and enjoying the perks that go with this exhausting full-time schedule. Mainly in the paycheck area. But also in a real sense of accomplishment.

Just recently, I had an eye-opening "Aha!" moment. Neither the SC producer job, nor the not-really-what-I-wanted receptionist job worked out. And while it made me sad for a moment, God had something better in mind. I had this great opportunity to learn so much more in the comfort of my own workplace. All without having to leave my family or take a step down in my employment situation. He is so good to me!

While things have been cool for me, Ken is still experiencing some problems. Please keep him in your prayers. He would appreciate them.

And don't forget to leave me a comment on my Ask Mandy post! Working on answers soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment