Monday, December 27, 2010

White {Almost} Christmas

As a late Christmas present, God gave me snow. While I don't think I could survive in a constantly snowy climate, I do love seeing snow every now and then. When my weathermen were talking about a possible white Christmas, I tried my best to resist getting too excited just in case it didn't happen. But really, I was like a little kid absolutely giddy at the thought of all the snowflakes. It was so hard to hold in my squeals of anticipation.

When I woke up yesterday morning, I was hoping to see snow but was quickly disappointed as I peeked out my window. I got myself ready for church like any other Sunday morning, periodically checking outside for any wintery activity. Not long before we left for the sevice, freezing rain started to fall and the precipitation bounced around on our patio out back. And then I squealed every time I saw a little flurry of snow swirling through the air.

We bundled up and drove the two blocks to the church, meeting a very small representation of our normal congregation. Truth be told, if we lived farther than two blocks, we probably would have skipped too. It's funny, when the choir came down after their special, the crowd on the floor doubled. Haha! Why we didn't cancel like the rest of eastern North Carolina, I've no idea. But then about halfway through the service, I was kinda glad we didn't.

While at church, the mix of flurries and freezing rain had turned to all snowflakes floating from the sky and coating the ground. I tried so very hard to pay attention to dad's sermon, but often got distracted while I watched out the window in awe. It was so cool to be singing Christmas carols and praising God while our surroundings started to look like a winter wonderland. It was so beautiful!

When the service was over, I giggled like a little girl and pressed my nose to the cold sanctuary window to watch the giant flakes fall. My new friend who just came here from Seattle didn't get the big deal, but I think he was just cranky because he's bald and didn't want his head to get cold. I didn't care about my head getting cold or even my hair getting messed up, but I certainly enjoyed dancing around in the parking lot afterwards.

Here are some pics I took of the snow...




Apart from falling on my butt twice while walking on the slippery roads shown in the third pic, this was the best Christmas weekend ever.

1 comment:

  1. No fares. I didn't get any snow D:

    Maybe I'll get some for my birfday.

    ReplyDelete