Friday, December 10, 2010

Going to Narnia! BRB!

In excited anticipation of seeing the new Chronicles of Narnia film "Voyage of the Dawn Treader", I have read the book and I've been reading a few articles online about it. I was shocked recently when I read that the movie was going to stray significantly from the book. I was a little furious at first because who in their right mind would mess with a C. S. Lewis classic and my favoritest Narnia novel?! Oh no they didn't!!! But upon further study, I'm ok with it.

In the book, Prince Caspian is on a voyage to find his father's friends who were sent away during his evil uncle's reign. The search takes him and his crew along with Lucy, Edmund, and their obnoxious cousin Eustace far beyond Narnian maps and into small adventures at each island stop. Although I greatly enjoyed the book, it is a somewhat weak plot line, no offense to my beloved Lewis. According to this article, they are taking some aspects of another Narnia book "The Silver Chair" to make a better story.

While the book's plot line made the story a little slow with no real sense of urgency, I think this change will add more excitement which will help the story work better as a film. Also, this may be an attempt to incorporate as much from the series as possible because I don't think they're planning on making another Narnia movie. It would be awesome to see each of the books acted out on screen, but I don't know that the franchise will survive without the Penvensies who have only small parts if any in the rest of the series. Sure, Lewis fans like me would still hit the theaters, but the remainder of the Narnia books differ greatly from the films already done so I don't know that they would be nearly as successful.

I'm a little curious as to how they merge these two stories together into one movie, but I'm still childishly giddy about seeing this new adaption. The VotDT 1989 mini series on BBC was cool at the time I guess, but the "special effects" need a serious update and I'm glad I get to see it done. Such a book deserves an awesome movie, especially when you can have the voice of Liam Neeson as Alsan. James Earl Jones would make a great Aslan too, but I would make the mistake of calling him Mufasa too often. And we can't have that.

No comments:

Post a Comment