Wednesday, September 29, 2010

I Heart Owl City

Only recently have I truly discovered the ear pleasability of Owl City. Although the break through album "Ocean Eyes" was released in 2009, I was super happy with just "Fireflies" and "Vanilla Twilight". I mean, why get obsessed with a guy who calls himself "Owl City"? What does that even mean anyways? But I had no idea what I was missing until I finally got my hands on the full album two weeks ago. Thank God for daddies who take advantage of Amazon album download specials without completely understanding what they're buying.

Most of the music I listen to is Christian Rock or Pop like Sanctus Real and Addison Road with the occasional Disney Channel song thrown in - I heart me some Jonas Brothers. This Dance/DJ or "Synthpop" style is totally new to me and I am loving it. (I almost typed "Sithpop" there at first, which gave me a giggle, because I just imagine that Darth Vader hates such music.) All  my other music follows the same basic pattern of verse 1, chorus, verse 2, chorus, bridge, and chorus, but Owl City is very unpredictable and it's kinda refreshing.

I have to be honest, half the time I have no clue what he's talking about in his songs. Sometimes I think he just came up with a cute and catchy tune then threw some lyrics in there to make it work. And apparently I'm not the only one who has trouble deciphering the message...



While I may not always understand what he's trying to say, I am impressed that there is not even a hint of profanity, or inappropriate material in his music. I love that Adam Young has made quite a name for himself among young people without singing about sex, drugs, and violence. In fact, his music is very optimistic and happifying. He's totally clean, so I have no problems with playing his music while my sisters are with me, much less surrounding myself with his tunes.

Another thing that impresses me about him is that he does input some of his faith into his songs. The short but beautiful song "Meteor Shower" contains the lines, "I am not my own, For I have been made new", referencing 1 Corinthians 6:19-20 and 2 Corinthians 5:17. The song "Tidal Wave" speaks some of his own testimony, saying, "Then I was given grace and love, I was blind but now I can see, Cause I've found a new hope from above, And courage swept over me." Not only does he reference faith in his songs, but he is completely open about it as seen in a Christianity Today article.

In no way am I leaving behind my beloved Sanctus Real, Addison Road, or Jonas Brothers, but I am so glad to have found Owl City. I'll be spending the next several minutes dancing in my room to his music. But first I will make sure that my blinds are pulled down because my dancing is quite shameful. Now, you go give him a listen.

4 comments:

  1. I honestly have tried to get into it, I'm just not a fan of the synthpop thing XD I do like the unpredictability of the music, though. It operates more on an orchestra formula than a pop music formula. He could probably easily write a symphony.

    Of course, I could be wrong because the electropop makes my brain hurt :O

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to admit, I haven't given Owl City a good chance. I don't care for Fireflies and a few other songs of his I've heard, but I'd give it another shot. Which song(s) would you suggest?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am with you Mandy!! I totally fell in love with Fireflies when it came out, and still now it makes the cut for my car CD.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Steph, his songs already do sound like a symphony on many occasions! It's so intricate and detailed, I love it!

    Lacey, I'm currently loving "Umbrella Beach", "On the Wing", and "Hello Seattle". Unfortunately these songs are some of the ones that don't make much lyrical sense to me, but I LOVE the sound, haha! I'm sure you could find the songs on Youtube somewhere.

    Amy, you are quickly rising on my ladder of awesomeness. :D

    ReplyDelete