Tuesday, October 5, 2010

To Die Is Gain

After getting out of the shower Monday morning, I noticed there was a missed call on my cell phone. As usual, it was mom. I swear she always calls when I'm not available. So I called her back, expecting it to be a cute question on how to make something on her computer work. But she answered with the voice of one with a very heavy heart as she gave me some unexpected news.

An acquaintance from my high school days had been murdered over the weekend. I barely knew Jonathan, but the news still hit me hard. Everyone I know thought very highly of the young man who was participating in Youth and Family studies at a nearby Christian college.

I pulled a yearbook out of my closet and found his senior page decorated in pictures of him with his family and friends. Amidst the photos of good times was a verse, Psalm 56:11 "In God I trust. I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?" Man did the very worst possible thing to him by taking his life. But what did that really do? That brought him immediately into the presence of the God he loved and lived his life for.

I'm reminded of Philippians 1:21, "To live is Christ, and to die is gain." As much as I can remember and what I have heard of him tells me that Jonathan's life reflected Christ. He passionately followed God's leading in his life and wanted to help people as He instructed. But his death was not the loss of his life. Jonathan gained an eternal fellowship with God that I can't even begin to imagine. I mourn for his family, but I'm also rejoicing in the fact that he is face to face with his Creator and Savior at this very moment.

While I'm looking forward to being in God's presence as Jonathan is now, I am in no real hurry to get there. God had a plan for Jonathan's life, He fulfilled it, and He took Jonathan home. Apparently God still has a plan for my life, and when I complete it, then I will gain that face to face fellowship with the God that I love too.

Please pray for Jonathan's mom, dad, and little brother. I know they're relying on God during this time, but it's still going to be difficult for them. Thanks.

2 comments:

  1. It is amazing that his senior verse was Psalm 5:11! Jonathan's faith was inspirational, and his joy was infectious. He will be missed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well written, Mandy. Thank you. (Dad)

    ReplyDelete