Thursday, March 31, 2011

A Piece of Charleston

Spring... Nature explodes into beautiful, bright colors. Electric blankets are put back in closets until November. And pollen attacks your sinuses like there's no tomorrow.

This season is so darn pretty, but I've been popping Claritin like it's candy. My car is covered in the nasty yellow stuff, I'm afraid to touch it. I would give it a nice bath, but it would be yellow again by the next morning. Although it makes me sleepy, I've been glad for the recent rain that's been washing it all off the streets and buildings.

In spite of all the nasally issues, I'm still enjoying spring so far because of a plant we have on our back porch. Some gorgeous yellow jasmine vines have grown all around a post and now they're blooming, giving off a light and lovely aroma.


I don't normally get so happyfied over flowers, but these are kinda special. When Sam and I took a vacation to Charleston SC a few years back, the white version of this flower was all over the place. It twisted around light posts and utility poles, and climbed up brick building facades. Not only was it beautiful and natural, but it made all of downtown Charleston smell so pretty and added to its magical feel.


So my allergies at the moment are keeping me from completely appreciating this flower in my back yard, but it's still like my own little corner of Charleston. I can't wait to go back for a visit and walk the cobblestone streets, play in the fountains, and meander around the parks. But in the meantime, I can look out the window and pretend.

No comments:

Post a Comment