Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Season Finales

I love my TV shows. In fact, I love them so much that when I was taking six courses at a time last fall, I would plan my breaks from homework for when my TV show for the night was scheduled to air. We're at the point in the year now that many shows have ended their season while others are just about to begin. So I'm sad about some shows ending, but happy that others are about to come back. But in this post, I just wanted to talk about my shows that recently ended. I'll probably write another TV-related post next week about the shows that are coming back, such as Burn Notice, Royal Pains, White Collar and Leverage.

One of my shows that just ended is NCIS. I  don't care for NCIS-LA, just give me the original with all the awesomeness of Gibbs. Although I love a good who-done-it (probably because of years of watching Scooby Doo), I watch this show more for the interaction between the characters than for the crime solving. I especially love the strangely happy goth Abby and the insecure but awesome McGee. Oh, and the former Mossad assassin Ziva. Oh and... well I really love all the characters. Except for Director Vance - he's hiding something and I don't like it. But there's just something about that whole hilariously dysfunctional family appearance of the coworkers that pulls me in.

That being said, I was very unsatisfied with the NCIS's season finale, just as I was with last year's season finale now that I think about it. But as I did last time, I'll give them a few episodes into next season to win me over again before I remove them from my TV watching schedule. The last season premiere was amazing, so I expect nothing less next time.

My other show that just ended is Chuck. I've been one of the few but rabid followers since its beginning and I don't plan on stopping anytime soon. It sounds silly, but the concept of the show itself is kind of an encouragement to me. Chuck goes from a dead end job at a kind of Best Buy to this super important government asset. This geek unintentionally gets a massive government database downloaded to his noggin and is thrust unwillingly into the world of espionage with his handlers, sweet but dangerous Sara and military machine Colonel Casey.

The show has evolved over its three years in many ways, and I wasn't sure I'd like it at first, but now it's quite exciting. For most of the show thus far, they had been keeping Chuck's government work a secret from his family and friends, but now both his sister and brother-in-law know the truth. Also, Chuck's ridiculous "little bearded friend" Morgan has not only discovered who his best friend really is, but has also become a spy (much to the challenge of the very impatient and no-nonsense Casey). Another way the show has evolved is in Chuck's primary goals. At first, he wanted the computer out of his head, and then he wanted to become a legitimate spy with the CIA, and now based on the season finale, it appears as though he's going to be doing rogue spy work but I won't know for sure until the fall.

Chuck's constant mix of action sequences and hilariosity keep me coming back every week, but the season finale went waaaaay beyond that. The two hour finale had going back and forth between sitting on the edge of my seat and nearly falling off that seat as I laughed. I have never been so happified with a season finale before, and now I'm very excited for what the next season will bring!

So until Thursday when Burn Notice starts back, I will be in a little TV lull. But it will probably be a good thing. On a few occasions, I have caught myself almost bringing up a story line and asking for prayer for these fictional characters during prayer meetings at church. Go ahead, laugh. So am I just passionate about my favorite shows, or am I on the verge of psychotic obsession??? ...Imma go with passionate.

2 comments:

  1. Imma go with psychotic :D

    Hahahahaha. This post was hilarious. I tried watching Chuck and I didn't like it. It might have just been that particular episode, but there was a lot of sex-related humor in it that I wasn't comfortable with. It did have some funny parts tho, so maybe I'll give a few episodes another shot. We have some DVR'd.

    If you like who-dun-it's then you should watch The Mentalist. It's suspenseful and the main dude is really charming and funny. The dynamics of the relationships between the characters is also great, you might like it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're probably right by calling me psychotic, haha!

    There is a little sex-related humor in some episodes of Chuck, but the show as a whole is quite clean. You should watch some more episodes, and then you'll be telling about how much you love it!

    I have not seen the Mentalist yet, but it seems like a knock-off of Psych to me. I may check it out, but right now, I've got my hands full with all my other shows.

    ReplyDelete