Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Superhero Capes?

I was thinking about superheroes yesterday. I've no idea why, really, but I got to thinking about why on earth they have capes. For the comic book and movie heroes that I know of, their capes serve no real purpose. But why is it such a staple for heroes like Superman and Batman? Random questions like this are always popping into my head, and I like researching and blogging about them, so this kinda stuff may be a regular feature.

Anyways, using my limited knowledge of superheroes, it doesn't seem very practical at all. Instead, I would think it would be more of a hindrance than a help. Edna Modes, the suit designer on "The Incredibles" (one of my favorite Disney/Pixar flicks ever) relayed the potential problems quite clearly while talking to Mr. Incredible about a new suit...

Edna: It will be bold! Dramatic!
Bob: Yeah!
Edna: Heroic!
Bob: Yeah. Something classic, like, like Dynaguy. Oh, he had a great look! Oh, the cape and the boots...
Edna: [throws a wadded ball of paper at Bob's head] No capes!
Bob: Isn't that my decision?
Edna: Do you remember Thunderhead? Tall, storm powers? Nice man, good with kids.
Bob: Listen, E...
Edna: November 15th of '58! All was well, another day saved, when... his cape snagged on a missile fin!
Bob: Thunderhead was not the brightest bulb...
Edna: Stratogale! April 23rd, '57! Cape caught in a jet turbine!
Bob: E, you can't generalize about these things...
Edna: Metaman, express elevator! Dynaguy, snagged on takeoff! Splashdown, sucked into a vortex!
Edna: No capes!

Smart woman. With even a Disney movie discussing the danger of capes, I can't help but wonder why they're so widespread in comic book culture. So I took the question to Facebook and got some kinda funny responses...

1. "We think they are stylish and they make a great blanket when you take your girl out for a picnic."
2. "They wear them to cover unsightly bulges."
3. "How could the comic books draw you in an epic pose if there wasn't a cape billowing behind you in the moonlight?"

The first two made me laugh, but the third one is probably closest to reality. It does look cool when it's flapping around in the wind, giving the appearance of movement in a still two-dimensional picture. But then I checked into some online comic book forums to see what they thought...

"In Batman's case, the cape makes him look bigger, which makes it harder for crooks to shoot him while also being intimidating." - I totally get that. If I met Batman in a dark alley, would I be more scared of him if he were in his tights and pointy mask alone? Or would the silhouette of a flapping cape make him appear more menacing? Definitely scarier with the cape. Also, Batman's cape apparently does have some practical applications as it is bulletproof, or something like that. Why not go all sci-fi and give him a force field?!?! Get with it, that's what all the superheroes are doing nowadays.

So it seems like it's all for looks, either for enhancing comics or the fright factor of a suit. Edna would totally disapprove. And now that I know the answer to this question, I may have to now discover why superheroes wear their underpants on the outside. I don't think that anything could justify that.

2 comments:

  1. This is great! I had never thought about that before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look up Captain Underpants.

    He is the exception to both of those rules XD

    ReplyDelete