Sunday, July 11, 2010

What Is The Purpose?

For quite some time, I have been vexed by a question which no one I know can answer. After pondering the question for weeks on end and coming up with no logical solution on my own, I resorted to my good friend Google who was more than happy to point me in the right direction. So what the heckins is the purpose of a necktie?!?!

For centuries, this annoying piece of fabric has been nearly strangling every man with whom it comes in contact. But since it's so uncomfortable and serves no purpose whatsoever, why is it a requirement for every old man at church to wear one? Why are they such a staple of professional and dressy fashion? Don't get me wrong, ties are snazzy and look super nice with a suit. Zachary Levi as Chuck makes it look quite adorable, See? He makes the untucked shirt and pocket protector look super nice too, so maybe it's just him, I dunno.



Anywaaaaays, after looking it up on Google, I discovered that it started out as part of a 17th century military uniform for the purpose of keeping the neck warm during the winter or to wipe sweat away during the summer. Makes perfect sense! It eventually took off as a fashion statement and wormed its way into society as a symbol of status and professionalism. But it is completely useless as a functional piece of clothing now because the bands are too small to keep anything warm, and sweat just doesn't do well on silk.

So why continue to wear it and make it a professional standard?! I've absolutely no idea. I also have no idea why I wanted to post this. But maybe some of you were curious too? You can now thank me for providing you with useless information.

That being said, I think this is a perfectly purposeful tie, don't you?

6 comments:

  1. Hahahaha! Wow what an interesting post.

    A few months ago in speech class, a girl did her demonstration speech on how to tie a tie. She gave out ties for us all to practice on in class, and I couldn't get it for the life of me... even after several minutes of having people trying to help me. I'm tie-illiterate. At least now I know why people wear them though, hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll vote for any candidate that advocates the banning of ties.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha, Lacey, I wouldn't be able to tie a tie either! But at least you don't have to worry about wearing them!!

    Anonymous, I concur. Also banning nylon stockings would be a plus! Sometimes I think the devil himself invented that torturous stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, what's the purpose of panty-hose then??? If we have to wear that, then men sure as all getout have to deal with ties.

    Besides, most men cheat and wear clip-ons anyhoo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mandy, you should have been in our visual basic class. Mr. E took time away from programing to teach everyone in the room how to tie a tie, he thought it was very important to have this skill(he even made me and the other girl in the class do it also) it was very intresting and he brought in his very own ties to practice with and you know his style so it was funny to make fun of the diffrent kinds he had!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Steph, I will make another post about panty-hose later in the week! Just for yoooouuuu!!

    Katrina, I would have loved making fun of his ties, hahaha!

    ReplyDelete