Friday, July 23, 2010

Saved By Her Enemy

I mentioned several posts ago that one of the books I wanted to read this summer was "Saved By Her Enemy" by Don Teague and Rafraf Barrak. It's a true story about an Iraqi girl (Rafraf) who comes to work as an interpreter for American news correspondents (including Don) reporting on the war. I'm about half way through the book right now, and it has been quite an eye opening read as I have learned more about the culture of Iraq, and many particular stories have made a lasting impact on me. Here are two short stories that caught my attention.

Rafraf tells about a group of five high school boys. One had told a joke about then-president Saddam Hussein, and a nearby teacher told a local informant of the incident. Later, all five of the boys were taken by officers and were never seen or heard from again. Their families hoped for their return for a long time before finally accepting that they had been executed. All for a joke.

She also recounts her fear of Americans when she was younger. Iraqi children were taught that Americans are murderous monsters. For years, little Rafraf had nightmares about the American in her closet and under her bed. But unlike our "bogeyman" these Americans were more terrifying because she knew they really existed. The Iraqi press told nothing but horror stories about Americans, and since there was no alternative source of information, they had no choice but to believe it.

These two stories in addition to many others in the book thus far have given me a new perspective on my own nation. Our country has countless problems, but I know that I don't have to worry about what will happen if I joke about or disagree with our president. Also, the press can really get on my nerves with their biased reporting, but I am so glad that they aren't government controlled (as far as we know, anyways) and that we have multiple sources of information to turn to. I am so thankful that God placed me here, and I don't need to take my first amendment rights including freedom of speech and press for granted.

No comments:

Post a Comment