Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Nylon Shackles

Based on the good reaction to my necktie focused post What Is The Purpose? and a request by a friend, I researched the point of pantyhose. I remember having to wear pantyhose to church as a little girl and I ALWAYS hated it. Yes, it looked adorable, but it made me way too warm and kept sliding down so I would have to readjust it. But on the other hand, I do remember some thoroughly awesome tie-dyed pantyhose that made it worthwhile for a time, haha!

Nylon pantyhose has been a success (and a nuisance) since its invention in the late 30's. Advertised as the "miracle fiber", women all over the place quickly jumped on this new fashion trend that almost instantly replaced standard stockings. It was so immediately popular that nearly four million pairs were sold within the first few days following the release. In the 60's as ladies' hemlines migrated higher, pantyhose became a requirement, probably so that they could say they were still being modest because their legs were technically covered. Because women are rule-benders like that. I won't deny it!

It's my guess that at the time ladies were getting more involved in professional work settings, pantyhose was widely accepted as a necessary piece of an outfit so their office dress codes reflected that. (Although after skipping over several links, which I will not discuss here, I wonder if it was a requirement set by their male supervisors for other less-than-noble purposes.) But now that the popularity of pantyhose is clearly declining, I have no idea why some establishments still hold to the idea that "women must wear pantyhose." This is the point were I consider joining the feminist bandwagon, but thankfully my common sense regained control of me.

This annoying tool of the devil does do some good for the legs as it gives the appearance of smooth skin tones and may cover the fact that you hadn't shaved in a few days. But in researching for this post, I discovered several health risks of pantyhose that again I will not mention here. After reading that list of possible horribleness, I have vowed to avoid wearing the stuff again at all costs. Never again will I be forced to wear those nylon shackles that chain me to pointless standards!

3 comments:

  1. Yay now I have an excuse to fuss at the old ladies who tell me I should wear teh hozes.

    Leggings, I wear. But not teh hozes...

    Thanks for the research XD

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always had to wear leggings. I thought they were far worse than pantyhose :|

    But, one important thing I learned about both "annoying tools of the devil" (I agree completely with that sentiment, btw!) is this: "Men are like pantyhose. Just when you need them, they run."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, I love that saying, Lacey!! :D

    ReplyDelete