Sunday, August 28, 2011

Lessons from Irene

Just in case you were wondering... WE SURVIVED! Irene killed our electricity for a day and half, threw tree branches across our yard, and made us miss the summer finale of Leverage. But we're ok! And not only did we survive, but I also learned a few things.

#1 God answers prayers. The news had been reporting for days that this could be the storm of the century. Our local weathermen were predicting the storm to make landfall right over our heads as a Category 3. Instead, Irene began to break apart some before hitting us as a Category 1. What had the potential to be another hurricane Katrina turned out to be just a minor mess-maker for a majority of our area. And I am so crazy thankful to God for it.

#2 I should not spend all the celebrated hurricane day in my worn out pajamas. Because crazy people will unexpectedly show up to check on me in the middle of the storm. Like my boyfriend, Bob. So note to self for next time: Jeans and a comfy t-shirt.

#3 I am way too addicted to Facebook. It nearly killed me that our cell service was out and I couldn't check my news feed or post statuses about the hilarous thing my mom just said. I actually had to handwrite notes to remind me of what I needed to post when I had service again! Can you believe that?! Who handwrites anything anymore anyways?! Crazy, I know!

#4 We have the absolute best neighbors. The Wachs next door allowed us to plug in to their generator to power our fridge and some fans so we could sleep that night. I pray God blesses their socks off. If we ever end up moving out of this house, I will see to it that our new place has an open house next to it so the Wachs can follow us.

#5 LED flashlights are the bomb dot com. I stole acquired this teeny three-bulb LED flashlight from the church and used it when I had to walk around in my dark and scary house. Not only did it keep the vampires away (I've had too many nightmares about them lately to deny their presence just beyond my line of sight), but it was also super useful for temporarily blinding sisters. Everyone should have one.

#6 Storms are the perfect opportunities to mess with our cats. The hard rain and loud wind makes Patches skiddish. So when I sprinkled some water on the unsuspecting kitty at 3 am, she got crazy wide-eyed and jumped back about five or six times before running at full speed down the hallway. Dad and I nearly fell out of our chairs laughing.

#7 It doesn't take much to make me laugh a lot when I'm missing out on sleep. See #6.

5 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you're ok! I've been through more than my fair share of hurricanes.

    So I will comment!

    1) news stations are sensationalistic. Hurricanes weaken significantly before the eye makes landfall 9/10 times, thanks to both the continental shelves altering the water and the outer bands no longer being able to soak up water once they're on land. I say 9 out of 10 times because Ike didn't. But Ike couldn't even be explained by my weather prof. Unless they're super small and compact, they will be too unstable to hold their strength (look up Camille for an example of that).

    But I digress.

    I wish we could get a hurricane. Mostly because they have rain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just realized I put a 1) and not a 2)

    so uh...

    2) I LAHVE YOU!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, thanks for adding the 2 because the grammar freak inside me would not have been happy! I lahve you too! And next time a hurricane threatens us, I'll call my contacts at the local weather center and have them send it your way, k? :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm just a little late... but I'm glad that you weathered the hurricane safely! It would be awesome to see you over Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm TOTALLY stealing "Bomb dot com" :D This is a brilliant post!

    ReplyDelete